In no particular order I wanted to share my top ten selections for achieving both healthy, dewy, skin and simple makeup for those hot summer nights! I own most of these products and some are highly raved about products that am thinking about purchasing.
ShiSeido ultimate sun protection lotion spf 60
1. Every gal has got to protect her youthful skin from aging against the harmful UV rays even if you’re not basking on the beach! Dermatologists and beauty experts say that even in a sky of complete cloudiness one should still apply sunscreen. Just because it looks like there’s no sun doesn’t mean there isn’t one in the sky! I chose this Shiseido spf not only for the cool looking tube (lol no really though..) but apparently it’s a nourishing lotion not only for the face but for the body! It’s packed with protective ingredients, giving it the 60++ power so you know it’s doing the job. Sadly I don’t own this yet because I’m mostly indoors for summer and since sunscreen expires by the end of the summer, I can’t force myself to buy it A) for the pricetag and B) because I won’t use it as much! Sephora values it at $39 online but I’m sure you can find it at other higher end department stores.
Pixi eye bright liner
2. Sometimes the smallest of things make the biggest difference and impact like this nude colored eyeliner by Pixi. I picked this up at Target (not on sale) for $17. That’s the average price I’ve seen it on shelves but I’m sure it can sell for a couple dollars less too. Why do you need a skin, salmon colored eyeliner? One of the biggest tips I’ve picked up from magazines is that by lining your lower waterline with a liner the same as your skin tone, it will make your eyes look more awake! Since I’m Asian I need all the ‘awakeness’ I can get..haha I PROMISE it makes a huge difference in pictures!
It’s not a Hershey chocolate bar, it’s the NAKED palette!
3. I call my Urban Decay palette Old Faithful. When in doubt that I have no clue what to slab on my eyelids I turn to my Naked girlfriend! Sooooo many possibilities and neutral color combinations, how can you go wrong? I’ve had Naked for years since its first release (and have yet to buy Naked2) and it’s hard to tell if I’ve made a dent in a single color! Seriously folks you get so much product for your money’s worth AND it comes with either a makeup brush OR a dual ended black&brown eyeliner. Mine came with the eyeliner because I purchased it at Ulta. For summer looks you never want to look TOO overdone and this is the perfect option for being casual, chic 😀
4. MAC makes many things wonderfully well and that includes their lustre drops! What are lustre drops you might add? Lustre drops are a highlighting, light reflecting liquid product that comes in a little tube used for defining the areas on your face (or body) that you want to bring light to. I love these little suckers moreso for highlighting the cheeks, closeby to the eyes. I’ve seen others put it on the bridge of their nose as a highlighting property as well. If you wanted to dab it onto your clavicle on a nice, sexy night your skin would GLOW. Hurry up and get it at MAC counters. $15.
Vincent Longo lipstain
5. Upon creating the perfect summer face I didn’t know whether to add a lipstick or gloss into the big picture. I settled on a lipstain because it adds just the right amount of color and dimension whatever the weather is in your summery area! I’ve never tried this one in particular from Vincent Longo but I’m sure reviewers on makeupalley love him to death. I have a lipstick from Vincent and love that his products are so pigmented and creamy! If you prefer a cheaper alternative Revlon makes some good drugstore lip products as well as Benefit’s Benetint. Now for Benetint you can use it on your cheeks to as well for that perfect, just bitten look!
Conceal those raccoon eyes!
6. Maybelline’s instant age rewind concealer is highly coveted by beauty junkies alike for its patented sponge-like, foam tip applicator upon applying concealer or foundation. My cousin owns this and she continues to use it for all her looks. If you’re in a rush at the very least you should get a concealer that will work for you. Now these aren’t flying off the shelves, not particularly *new* but I can’t wait to try this! This is a great beauty buy for the summer because it hides dark, undereye circles while warding off aging properties from daily activity! Me LOVES anything that will keep me in my twenties for a bit longer ;P
The balm’s matte bronzer
7. The Balm’s Bahama Mama is a matte bronzer that I bought at TJMaxx. If you didn’t know that Marshalls and TJMaxx had makeup then girl, best go look! (On a side note too the Balm’s Frat boy blush is amazing too). I wear bronzer year round but it depends on the mood I’m in for shimmery or matte bronzer. I chose this matte bronzer for my summer pick because if you read my rant on MAC lustre drops you’ll see it’s all about balance. If you opt for a liquid and shimmery, metallic highlighter then it only makes sense to add a matte bronzer to the mix. If you put two types of shimma shimma on that area of your face with such close proximity, the tendency is for the products to get lost and jumbled all together.
Boots No. 7 makeup wipes
8. Take the day off with an English imported skincare brand that you trust. You may not be familiar with Boots No. 7 but they are exclusively sold at Targets across America. (Not sure if they have a self standing store but you can for sure find it at the red bullseye!) I was impressed with these cleansing and refreshing makeup wipes in just one use! Not only does it not dry out your skin but gets off every trace of makeup. And if you’re coming home from a late night luau perhaps, then be lazy and grab this before you hit the sheets! The price is right too because for just $3.99 you get all the regular effects of a normal makeup wipe plus added exfoliation and repair properties.
Blinc lash primer & defining mascara
9. In my book Blinc is so underrated for what it is. I feel like people think it’s some unheard of makeup brand from a tv infomercial selling commercial turned attempting to reach mass market at Sephoras. I’ve always been aware of Blinc but just never thought twice about it. Makeupbyleinnababy on YouTube swears by Blinc masacara nowadays because it’s one of the few brands whose primer and masacara ACTUALLY work hand in hand. I can’t speak for Diorshow but on the occassion I tried their masacara alone I wasn’t impressed. Blinc on the other hand, makes your lashes longer and defined over several times of using their eye product. When my masacaras run out I can’t wait to go out and buy Blinc because it works on Asian eyes the best!! $26 each on their website.
Dior Hydralife BB cream
10. Rounding out the top ten is Dior’s Hydralife BB cream. I tried a sample size of this (even though I had another BB cream brand at the time) because I thought, why not…can’t hurt? Post opening the tiny, squeezable tube I canNOT get it outta my mind. It covers all the imperfections, light blemishes, and discoloration so evenly on my face without looking like I caked on foundation! I never knew a BB cream could be a magical worker but this renewed my faith in Dior! Granted it was a bit drying but nothing a little daily face moisturizer can’t fix! The tiniest grapesize amount is all you need to dot on your T-zone. I’m a BB girl for LIFE now yeahhh all day, everyday! $56 at Sephora..OUCH.